U.S. Code of Federal Regulations
Regulations most recently checked for updates: Dec 05, 2023
(a) Match contribution to HOME-assisted housing. A contribution is recognized as a matching contribution if it is made with respect to:
(1) A tenant who is assisted with HOME funds;
(2) A HOME-assisted unit;
(3) The portion of a project that is not HOME-assisted provided that at least 50 percent of the housing units in the project are HOME-assisted. If the match contribution to the portion of the project that is not HOME-assisted meets the affordable housing requirements of § 92.219(b)(2), the percentage requirement for HOME-assisted units does not apply; or
(4) The commercial space in a mixed-use project in which at least 51 percent of the floor space is residential provided that at least 50 percent of the dwelling units are HOME-assisted.
(b) Match contribution to affordable housing that is not HOME-assisted. The following requirements apply for recognition of matching contributions made to affordable housing that is not HOME-assisted:
(1) For tenant-based rental assistance that is not HOME-assisted:
(i) The contribution must be made with respect to a tenant who is assisted with tenant-based rental assistance that meets the requirements of § 92.203 (Income determinations) and paragraphs (a), (c), (f), and (i) of § 92.209 (Tenant-based rental assistance); and
(2) For affordable housing that is not HOME-assisted:
(ii) The participating jurisdiction or its instrumentality must execute, with the owner of the housing (or, if the participating jurisdiction is the owner, with the manager or developer), a written agreement that imposes and enumerates all of the affordability requirements from § 92.252 and § 92.253(a) and (b) (Tenant protections), or § 92.254, whichever are applicable; the property standards requirements of § 92.251; and income determinations made in accordance with § 92.203. This written agreement must be executed before any match contributions may be made.
(iii) A participating jurisdiction must establish a procedure to monitor HOME match-eligible housing to ensure continued compliance with the requirements of §§ 92.203 (Income determinations), 92.252 (Qualification as affordable housing: Rental housing), 92.253(a) and (b) (Tenant protections) and 92.254 (Qualification as affordable housing: Homeownership). No other HOME requirements apply.
(iv) The match may be in any eligible form of match except those in § 92.220(a)(2) (forbearance of fees), (a)(4) (on-site and off-site infrastructure), (a)(10) (direct cost of supportive services) and (a)(11) (direct costs of homebuyer counseling services).
(v) Match contributions to mixed-use or mixed-income projects that contain affordable housing units will be recognized only if the contribution is made to the project's affordable housing units.