U.S. Code of Federal Regulations

Regulations most recently checked for updates: May 18, 2024

§ 500.120 - Insurance policy or liability bond is required for each vehicle used to transport any migrant or seasonal agricultural worker.

A farm labor contractor, agricultural employer or agricultural association shall not transport any migrant or seasonal agricultural worker or his property in any vehicle such contractor, employer or association owns, operates, controls, or causes to be operated unless he has an insurance policy or liability bond in effect which insures against liability for damage to persons or property arising from the ownership, operation, or causing to be operated of such vehicle. Generally, the owner or lessor of the vehicle will be responsible for providing the required insurance. The insurance requirements do not apply to vehicles involved in carpooling arrangements made by the workers themselves, using one of the workers' own vehicles and not specifically directed or requested by an agricultural employer or agricultural association. However, carpooling does not include any transportation arrangement in which a farm labor contractor participates. Activities exempt from transportation safety standards are also exempt from insurance requirements. (See also § 500.103.)