U.S. Code of Federal Regulations
Regulations most recently checked for updates: Jun 06, 2023
(a) A former spouse (personally or through a representative) must apply in writing to be eligible for a court-awarded portion of a refund of employee contributions. No special form is required.
(b) The application letter must be accompanied by—
(1) A certified copy of the court order acceptable for processing that is directed at a refund of employee contributions.
(2) A certification from the former spouse or the former spouse's representative that the court order is currently in force and has not been amended, superseded, or set aside;
(3) Information sufficient for OPM to identify the employee or separated employee, such as his or her full name, date of birth, and social security number;
(4) The current mailing address of the former spouse; and
(5) If the employee or separated employee has not applied for a refund of employee contributions, the current mailing address of the employee or separated employee.