U.S. Code of Federal Regulations

Regulations most recently checked for updates: Jun 06, 2023

§ 838.421 - Application requirements.

(a) A former spouse (personally or through a representative) must apply in writing to be eligible for a court-awarded portion of a refund of employee contributions. No special form is required.

(b) The application letter must be accompanied by—

(1) A certified copy of the court order acceptable for processing that is directed at a refund of employee contributions.

(2) A certification from the former spouse or the former spouse's representative that the court order is currently in force and has not been amended, superseded, or set aside;

(3) Information sufficient for OPM to identify the employee or separated employee, such as his or her full name, date of birth, and social security number;

(4) The current mailing address of the former spouse; and

(5) If the employee or separated employee has not applied for a refund of employee contributions, the current mailing address of the employee or separated employee.