U.S. Code of Federal Regulations
Regulations most recently checked for updates: Sep 23, 2023
§ 3830.20 - Payment of service charges, location fees, initial maintenance fees, annual maintenance fees and oil shale fees.
The following table lists service charges, maintenance fees, location fees, and oil shale fees (all cross-references refer to this chapter):
|Transaction||Amount due per mining claim or site||Waiver available|
|(a) Recording a mining claim or site location (part 3833)||A total sum which includes:
(1) The processing fee for notices of location found in the fee schedule in § 3000.12 of this chapter;
|(2) A one-time $40 location fee; and|
|(3)(i) For lode claims, mill sites and tunnel sites, an initial $165 maintenance fee; or|
|(ii) For placer claims, an initial $165 maintenance fee for each 20 acres of the placer claim or portion thereof.|
|(b) Amending a mining claim or site location (§ 3833.20)||The processing fee for amendment of location found in the fee schedule in § 3000.12 of this chapter||No.|
|(c) Transferring a mining claim or site (§ 3833.30)||The processing fee for transfer of mining claim/site found in the fee schedule in § 3000.12 of this chapter||No.|
|(d) Maintaining a mining claim or site for one assessment year (part 3834)||(1) For lode claims, mill sites and tunnel sites, an annual maintenance fee of $165 must be paid on or before September 1 each year||Yes. See part 3835.|
|(2) For placer claims, a $165 annual maintenance fee for each 20 acres of the placer claim or portion thereof must be paid on or before September 1 each year.|
|(e) Recording an annual FLPMA filing (§ 3835.30)||The processing fee for recording an annual FLPMA filing found in the fee schedule in § 3000.12 of this chapter||No.|
|(f) Submitting a petition for deferment of assessment work (§ 3836.20)||The processing fee for deferment of assessment work found in the fee schedule in § 3000.12 of this chapter||No.|
|(g) Maintaining an oil shale placer mining claim (§ 3834.11(b))||An annual $550 fee||No.|
|(h) Recording a notice of intent to locate mining claims on Stockraising Homestead Act Lands (part 3838)||The filing fee for recording a notice of intent to locate mining claims on Stock Raising Homestead Act Lands found in the fee schedule in § 3000.12 of this chapter||No.|
(a) BLM will not refund service charges, except for overpayments.
(b) BLM will refund maintenance and location fees if:
(1) At the time you or your predecessor in interest located the mining claim or site, the location was on land not open to mineral entry or otherwise not available for mining claim or site location; or
(2) At the time you paid the fees, the mining claim or site was void.
(c) BLM will apply maintenance and location fee overpayments to future years if you so request.
(a) BLM will accept the following types of payments:
(1) U.S. currency;
(2) Postal money order payable in U.S. dollars to the Department of the Interior—Bureau of Land Management;
(3) Check or other negotiable instrument payable in U.S. dollars to the Department of the Interior—Bureau of Land Management;
(4) Valid credit card that is acceptable to the BLM; or
(5) An authorized debit from a declining deposit account with BLM.
(i) You may maintain a declining deposit account with the BLM State Office where your mining claims or sites are recorded.
(ii) BLM will deduct service charges and fees or add overpayments to the account only when you authorize us to do so.
(b) If the issuing institution of your check, negotiable instrument, or credit card refuses to pay and it is not because the institution made a mistake, BLM will treat the service charges and fees as unpaid.
(a) You or your representative may bring payments to the BLM State Office by close of business on or before the due date.
(b) If you use a credit card—
(1) On or before the due date, you must send or fax a written authorization, bearing your signature; or
(2) You may authorize BLM to use your credit card by telephone if you can satisfactorily establish your identity.
(c) You may send payments using a bona fide mail delivery service.
(1) The payment must be postmarked or clearly identified by the mail delivery service as being sent on or before the due date; and
(2) The BLM State Office must receive the payment no later than 15 calendar days after the due date.
§ 3830.25 - When do I pay for recording a new notice or certificate of location for a mining claim or site?
You must pay the service charge, location fee, and initial maintenance fee, in full, as provided in § 3830.21 of this chapter, at the time you record new notices or certificates of location with BLM.