U.S. Code of Federal Regulations
Regulations most recently checked for updates: Jun 10, 2023
(a) Label content. (1) Headlines and texts, as illustrated in the prototype and sample labels in appendix L to this part, are standard for all labels.
(2) Name of manufacturer or private labeler shall, in the case of a corporation, be deemed to be satisfied only by the actual corporate name, which may be preceded or followed by the name of the particular division of the corporation. In the case of an individual, partnership, or association, the name under which the business is conducted shall be used. Inclusion of the name of the manufacturer or private labeler is optional at the discretion of the manufacturer or private labeler.
(3) Model number(s) will be the designation given by the manufacturer or private labeler.
(4) Capacity or size is that determined in accordance with this part.
(5) Estimated annual operating costs are as determined in accordance with this part.
(6) Unless otherwise indicated in this paragraph, ranges of comparability for estimated annual operating costs are found in the appropriate appendices accompanying this part.
(7) Placement of the labeled product on the scale shall be proportionate to the lowest and highest estimated annual operating costs.
(8) Labels must contain the model's estimated annual energy consumption as determined in accordance with this part and as indicated on the sample labels in appendix L. Labels must contain the model's energy efficiency rating, as applicable, as determined in accordance with this part and as indicated on the sample labels in appendix L to this part.
(9) Labels must contain a statement as illustrated in the prototype labels in appendix L of this part and specified as follows (fill in the blanks with the appropriate model type, year, energy type, and energy cost figure):
Your costs will depend on your utility rates and use.
Cost range based only on models [of similar capacity; of similar capacity without reverse cycle and with louvered sides; of similar capacity without reverse cycle and without louvered sides; with reverse cycle and with louvered sides; or with reverse cycle and without louvered sides].
Estimated annual energy cost is based on a national average electricity cost of ____ cents per kWh and a seasonal use of 8 hours use per day over a 3-month period.
For more information, visit www.ftc.gov/energy.
(10) The following statement shall appear on each label as illustrated in the prototype and sample labels in appendix L:
Federal law prohibits removal of this label before consumer purchase.
(b) Additional information. No marks or information other than that specified in this part shall appear on or directly adjoining this label except that:
(1) A part or publication number identification may be included on this label, as desired by the manufacturer. If a manufacturer elects to use a part or publication number, it must appear in the lower right-hand corner of the label and be set in 12-point type or smaller.
(2) The energy use disclosure labels required by the governments of Canada or Mexico may appear directly adjoining this label, as desired by the manufacturer.
(3) The manufacturer or private labeler may include the ENERGY STAR logo on the bottom right corner of the label for certified products. The logo must be 1 inch by 1 inch in size. Only manufacturers that have signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the Department of Energy or the Environmental Protection Agency may add the ENERGY STAR logo to labels on certified covered products; such manufacturers may add the ENERGY STAR logo to labels only on those covered products that are contemplated by the Memorandum of Understanding.