U.S. Code of Federal Regulations
Regulations most recently checked for updates: Mar 23, 2023
(a) Request for review. Where authorized in this subpart, employers may request an administrative review before the BALCA of a determination by the CO. In such cases, the request for review:
(1) Must be sent to the BALCA, with a copy simultaneously sent to the CO who issued the determination, within 10 business days from the date of determination;
(2) Must clearly identify the particular determination for which review is sought;
(3) Must set forth the particular grounds for the request;
(4) Must include a copy of the CO's determination; and
(5) May contain only legal argument and such evidence as was actually submitted to the CO before the date the CO's determination was issued.
(b) Appeal file. Upon the receipt of a request for review, the CO will, within 7 business days, assemble and submit the Appeal File using means to ensure same day or next day delivery, to the BALCA, the employer, and the Associate Solicitor for Employment and Training Legal Services, Office of the Solicitor, U.S. Department of Labor.
(c) Briefing schedule. Within 7 business days of receipt of the Appeal File, the counsel for the CO may submit, using means to ensure same day or next day delivery, a brief in support of the CO's decision.
(d) Assignment. The Chief ALJ may designate a single member or a three member panel of the BALCA to consider a particular case.
(e) Review. The BALCA must review the CO's determination only on the basis of the Appeal File, the request for review, and any legal briefs submitted and must:
(1) Affirm the CO's determination; or
(2) Reverse or modify the CO's determination; or
(3) Remand to the CO for further action.
(f) Decision. The BALCA should notify the employer, the CO, and counsel for the CO of its decision within 7 business days of the submission of the CO's brief or 10 business days after receipt of the Appeal File, whichever is later, using means to ensure same day or next day delivery.