U.S. Code of Federal Regulations

Regulations most recently checked for updates: Aug 15, 2022

§ 17.2 - Administrative claim; when presented; appropriate HUD office.

(a) For purposes of this subpart, a claim shall be deemed to have been presented when the Department receives, at a place designated in paragraph (b) of this section, an executed Claim for Damages or Injury, Standard Form 95, or other written notification of an incident, accompanied by a claim for money damages in a sum certain for injury to or loss of property, for personal injury, or for death alleged to have occurred by reason of the incident. A claim which should have been presented to the Department, but which was mistakenly addressed to or filed with another Federal agency, is deemed to be presented to the Department as of the date that the claim is received by the Department. If a claim is mistakenly addressed to or filed with the Department, the Department shall forthwith transfer it to the appropriate Federal agency, if ascertainable, or return it to the claimant.

(b) A claimant shall mail or deliver his claim to the office of employment of the Department employee or employees whose negligent or wrongful act or omission is alleged to have caused the loss or injury complained of. Where such office of employment is the Department Central Office in Washington, or is not reasonably known and not reasonably ascertainable, claimant shall file his claim with the Assistant Secretary for Administration, Department of Housing and Urban Development, 451 Seventh Street SW., Washington, DC 20410. In all other cases, claimant shall address his claim to the head of the appropriate office, the address of which will generally be found listed in the local telephone directory.