U.S. Code of Federal Regulations
Regulations most recently checked for updates: Jul 05, 2022
(a) Requests for nominations
(1) The name of the agency and the name and address of any office or branch of the agency below the national level that may be involved;
(2) A description of the unit appropriate for exclusive representation or claimed to be appropriate for such representation;
(3) The number of employees in the appropriate unit or any alleged appropriate unit;
(4) If the request is by an employee organization, the name, affiliation, if any, and address of the organization and the names, if known, of all other employee organizations claiming exclusive recognition, or having requested or attained formal or informal recognition with respect to any of the employees in the unit involved;
(5) If the request is by an agency, the names, affiliation, if any, and addresses of the employee organization or organizations claiming exclusive recognition and of any employee organization which has requested or attained formal or informal recognition with respect to any of the employees in the unit involved;
(6) A brief statement indicating specifically the matter or matters with respect to which an advisory decision or determination is sought;
(7) A brief statement of procedures followed by and before the agency prior to the request, two copies of any appropriate agency determination and two copies of all correspondence relating to the dispute or problem;
(8) If the request is made by an employee organization, an indication of the interest of such organization, including information or data such as membership lists, employee petitions or dues records showing prima facie that the organization has sufficient membership to qualify for formal recognition, and that it represents no less than 30 percent of the employees, in the appropriate unit or alleged appropriate unit; and
(9) Any other relevant facts.
(b) A party making a request shall furnish copies to all other parties or organizations listed in the request in compliance with paragraph (a) of this section; except that membership lists, employee petitions or dues records need not be furnished by the requesting employee organization to the other parties or organizations.
(c) Any employee organization claiming to have an interest in the matter or matters to be considered by an arbitrator as to the appropriateness of a unit or majority representation must have advised the agency of its position, in the manner prescribed by the agency's rules, and must have satisfied all of the requirements of section 5 of the Order and paragraph (a)(8) of this section; except that, in any employee organization which has satisfied all of the requirements of section 5 of the Order except for the 10 percent membership requirement shall be entitled to receive notice of the proceeding and to participate therein if it represents at least two members and/or is designated by at least two employees as their representative in the unit alleged to be appropriate by the employee organization seeking exclusive recognition or the unit alleged to be appropriate by the agency, provided, however, that such intervening employee organization may not request a unit different than that sought by the employee organization seeking exclusive recognition or the unit claimed to be appropriate by the agency.
(d) Within fifteen (15) days following the receipt of a copy of any request for a nomination filed with the Secretary, the agency or any employee organization may file a response thereto with the Secretary, raising any matter which is relevant to the request including the adequacy of the showing of interest and the appropriateness of the unit under terms of the Order or these procedures. A copy of any response shall be furnished to other parties and organizations listed in the request, in the manner provided in paragraph (b) of this section.