U.S. Code of Federal Regulations
Regulations most recently checked for updates: Jun 05, 2023
(a) A facility owner or operator required to submit a response plan under this part must ensure that—
(1) Containment booms, skimmers, vessels, and other major equipment listed or referenced in the plan are periodically inspected and maintained in good operating condition, in accordance with manufacturer's recommendations, and best commercial practices; and
(2) All inspection and maintenance is documented and that these records are maintained for 3 years.
(b) For equipment which must be inspected and maintained under this section the Coast Guard may—
(1) Verify that the equipment inventories exist as represented;
(2) Verify the existences of records required under this section;
(3) Verify that the records of inspection and maintenance reflect the actual condition of any equipment listed or referenced; and
(4) Inspect and require operational tests of equipment.
(c) This section does not apply to containment booms, skimmers, vessels, and other major equipment listed or referenced in the plan and ensured available from an oil spill removal organization through the written consent required under § 154.1028(a)(5).