U.S. Code of Federal Regulations
Regulations most recently checked for updates: Mar 22, 2023
(a) A remanufacturer or other person that stores or treats the hazardous secondary material subject to the requirements of § 261.1057 may elect to have all valves within a hazardous secondary material management unit comply with an alternative standard that allows no greater than 2 percent of the valves to leak.
(b) The following requirements shall be met if a remanufacturer or other person that stores or treats the hazardous secondary material decides to comply with the alternative standard of allowing 2 percent of valves to leak:
(1) A performance test as specified in paragraph (c) of this section shall be conducted initially upon designation, annually, and at other times requested by the Regional Administrator.
(2) If a valve leak is detected, it shall be repaired in accordance with § 261.1057(d) and (e).
(c) Performance tests shall be conducted in the following manner:
(1) All valves subject to the requirements in § 261.1057 within the hazardous secondary material management unit shall be monitored within 1 week by the methods specified in § 261.1063(b).
(2) If an instrument reading of 10,000 ppm or greater is measured, a leak is detected.
(3) The leak percentage shall be determined by dividing the number of valves subject to the requirements in § 261.1057 for which leaks are detected by the total number of valves subject to the requirements in § 261.1057 within the hazardous secondary material management unit.