U.S. Code of Federal Regulations
Regulations most recently checked for updates: Jun 09, 2023
This subpart sets forth procedures to be followed when an EPA employee is requested or subpoenaed to provide testimony concerning information acquired in the course of performing official duties or because of the employee's official status. (In such cases, employees must state for the record that their testimony does not necessarily represent the official position of EPA. If they are called to state the official position of EPA, they should ascertain that position before appearing.) These procedures also apply to subpoenas duces tecum for any document in the possession of EPA and to requests for certification of copies of documents.
(a) These procedures apply to:
(1) State court proceedings (including grand jury proceedings);
(2) Federal civil proceedings, except where the United States, EPA or another Federal agency is a party; and
(3) State and local legislative and administrative proceedings.
(b) These procedures do not apply:
(1) To matters which are not related to EPA;
(2) To Congressional requests or subpoenas for testimony or documents;
(3) Where employees provide expert witness services as approved outside activities in accordance with 40 CFR part 3, subpart E (in such cases, employees must state for the record that the testimony represents their own views and does not necessarily represent the official position of EPA);
(4) Where employees voluntarily testify as private citizens with respect to environmental matters (in such cases, employees must state for the record that the testimony represents their own views and does not necessarily represent the official position of EPA).
(c) The purpose of this subpart is to ensure that employees' official time is used only for official purposes, to maintain the impartiality of EPA among private litigants, to ensure that public funds are not used for private purposes and to establish procedures for approving testimony or production of documents when clearly in the interests of EPA.