U.S. Code of Federal Regulations
Regulations most recently checked for updates: Mar 29, 2023
(a) A former spouse (personally or through a representative) must apply in writing to be eligible for benefits under this subpart. No special form is required.
(b) The application letter must be accompanied by -
(1) A certified copy of the court order granting benefits under CSRS; and
(2) A statement that the court order has not been amended, superseded, or set aside; and
(3) Identifying information concerning the employee, Member, or retiree such as his or her full name, claim number, date of birth, and social security number, if available; and
(4) The mailing address of the former spouse.
(c) When payments are subject to termination upon remarriage, no payment shall be made until the former spouse submits to the Associate Director a statement on the form prescribed by OPM certifying -
(1) That a remarriage has not occurred; and
(2) That the former spouse will notify the Associate Director within 15 calendar days of the occurrence of any remarriage; and
(3) That the former spouse will be personally liable for any overpayment to him or her resulting from a remarriage. The Associate Director may subsequently require recertification of these statements.