United States Code

USC most recently checked for updates: May 29, 2023

§ 6104.
Mansfield Fellows on detail from Government service
In general
An agency head may detail, for a period of not more than 2 years, an employee of the agency who has been awarded a Mansfield Fellowship, to the Center.
Each fellow who is detailed under this section shall enter into a written agreement with the Federal Government before receiving a fellowship that the fellow will—
continue in the service of the fellow’s agency at the end of the fellowship for a period of at least 2 years unless the fellow is involuntarily separated from the service of such agency; and
pay to the United States Information Agency any additional expenses incurred by the Federal Government in connection with the fellowship if the fellow is voluntarily separated from service with the fellow’s agency before the end of the period for which the fellow has agreed to continue in the service of such agency.
The payment agreed to under paragraph (2)(B) may not be required of a fellow who leaves the service of such agency to enter into the service of another agency in any branch of the United States Government unless the head of the agency that authorized the fellowship notifies the employee before the effective date of entry into the service of the other agency that payment will be required under this section.
Status as Government employee

A fellow detailed under subsection (a) is deemed, for the purpose of preserving allowances, privileges, rights, seniority, and other benefits, an employee of the agency from which detailed, and is entitled to pay, allowances, and benefits from funds available to that agency. The authorization and payment of such allowances and other benefits from appropriations available therefore 1

 So in original. Probably should be “therefor”.
is deemed to comply with section 5536 of title 5.


Fellows may be detailed under subsection (a) without reimbursement to the United States by the Center.

Allowances and benefits

A fellow detailed under subsection (a) may be paid by the Center for allowances and benefits listed in section 6102(4)(B) of this title.

(Pub. L. 103–236, title II, § 255, Apr. 30, 1994, 108 Stat. 431.)
cite as: 22 USC 6104