United States Code

USC most recently checked for updates: Feb 29, 2024

§ 6309.
Honorable discharge certificate in lieu of birth certificate
In General.—
An employer described in subsection (b) may not deny employment, on account of failure to produce a birth certificate, to an individual who submits, in lieu of the birth certificate, an honorable discharge certificate (or certificate issued in lieu of an honorable discharge certificate) from the Army, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps, Space Force, or Coast Guard of the United States, unless the honorable discharge certificate shows on its face that the individual may have been an alien at the time of its issuance.
Employers to Which Section Applies.—
An employer referred to in subsection (a) is an employer—
engaged in—
the production, maintenance, or storage of arms, armament, ammunition, implements of war, munitions, machinery, tools, clothing, food, fuel, or any articles or supplies, or parts or ingredients of any articles or supplies; or
the construction, reconstruction, repair, or installation of a building, plant, structure, or facility; and
engaged in the activity described in paragraph (1) under—
a contract with the Federal Government; or
any contract that the President, the Secretary of the Army, the Secretary of the Air Force, the Secretary of the Navy, or the Secretary of the Department in which the Coast Guard is operating certifies to the employer to be necessary to the national defense.
(Pub. L. 111–350, § 3, Jan. 4, 2011, 124 Stat. 3806; Pub. L. 116–283, div. A, title IX, § 927(e), Jan. 1, 2021, 134 Stat. 3832.)
cite as: 41 USC 6309